Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of the bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All they ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


  1. New Age: Simply not my thing. I've read a couple books in this genre, but my beliefs are different and I don't truly enjoy them.
  2. Snarky: I don't mind reading a book with a snarky character, but I don't want the overall tone of the book to be sarcastic--very ironic coming from the queen of sarcasm. 
  3. Fantasy: I like the occasional fantasy novel, but overall this is a genre I don't care to read much of.
  4. Paranormal: Another genre I don't actively seek out. I like some of them, but not my usual read.
  5. Foreign: I prefer books set in the United States. It's a strange quirk, but this is where I live and the setting I enjoy most.
  6. Futuristic: Historical fiction will grab me much easier than something set in the future.
  7. Fetish: I never want to read a book where someone's fetish is part of the plot. 
  8. Dark fiction: There might be an occasional novel in this genre that I'll read, but I used to enjoy this genre much more when I was younger.
  9. Popular: This will sound crazy, but I'll rarely read a series that is wildly popular. No Twilight, no Harry Potter or Fifty Shades of Grey. Maybe it's because I don't like to be a follower, but anything that is talked about constantly and making headlines is something I actively avoid--at least until the hullabaloo dies down. The only exception to this rule was The Hunger Games, and even then, I only read it because my daughter wanted to and I didn't want her to read them alone because she was too young.
  10. Roaring Twenties: Now, this might change depending upon how much I enjoy the new season of Downton Abbey, but this is an era I've never had an interest in reading about. Actually, there seems to be a gap in my historical fiction loving years. I like historical fiction from Colonial times up through the 1890s, but then don't usually read anything from 1900 until World War II begins. I never really thought about it until drafting this post. How strange.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Books with fetishes can be really weird reading experiences, a definite no to me as well! Thanks for stopping by at my blog earlier. :)

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

I definitely avoid books that have the word fetishes, too. I'm honestly ok with a lot of your other words though. I love books with a snarky protagonist and usually enjoy books about the 20s. I don't always love "popular" books, but HP is amazing for real. Great list! Thanks for stopping by mine!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate you stopping by.